Tuesday, December 13, 2005

If You Haven't Noticed

Big ol' pissing match going on between Mark Levin at the old Corner and Andrew Sullivan over events that occurred at Abu Gharib and Gitmo. Strange thing is my ideas regarding the use of torture more closely adhere with Levin's than Sullivan's, but I still think that Levin is full of shit for his disingenuous arguments.

Torture is torture is torture. Sullivan and I both agree what constitutes torture, we differ in the effectiveness and legitimacy of its use, and while I disagree with his analysis I respect his opinion because he obviously has the evidence to back up his argument.

Levin on the other hand obviously doesn't know his head from his ass when he considers this list of government reports, news articles, and humanitarian reports that Sullivan posted "loony links" and asks Andrew, "I notice you didn't link to "this one".

A sample from the article that supposedly "proves" Levin's argument that things aren't that in our prisons at Gitmo.
There were 13 official "homicides," not 21. And documents associated with at most 5 of those homicides contain even the vaguest hint of possible wrongdoing by American personnel. The other 8 appear to have been "homicides" only in the technical sense that mortuary physicians use the term--to indicate any nonaccidental death resulting from human agency, whether sinister or innocent.
Oh... well are there is only 13 homicides as opposed to 21 everything's a-ok. (and tell me how do those caveats about the cause of death rule out any sort of, I don't know, torture as the cause of death?)