Friday, August 12, 2005

What do Words Mean Anyways?

I cannot help but point out when words come back to bite someone in the ass (even when they happen to fellow Democrats).

EJ Dionne in a column praising special-interest groups as somehow educating the public about issues:
"I say hooray for those supposedly awful outside groups. Yes, they often behave in troublesome ways. But because these groups tell the truth about how important this battle is for the future of our country, I hope they ignore the high-minded scoldings they'll be getting and refuse to shut up."

About the new NARAL (one of those "special interest groups" that educate the public), which depicts John Roberts as supporting the bombing of abortion clinics, Dionne states:
"Can we please come up with a better way of arguing about Supreme Court nominees?"
What, no special interest groups misleading the public? That's fine by me.

(Normally I think that Dionne is a fantastic writer)